“Ending Homelessness One Family at a Time”
Guided by a strong belief in the integrity and dignity of homeless families, BARN Community Housing, is committed to providing families housing and access to supportive services to promote healing, growth and self-sufficiency.
BARN Community Housing opened its doors to families facing homelessness in 1997. A 501(c)3 secular non-profit, BARN provides clean, safe housing for families in need of a helping hand. BARN was started by the Benedictine Sisters of Virginia, a small Order of Catholic Sisters, who are devoted to meeting the needs of the local community. While BARN is located on the Monastery grounds and benefits from continued support from the Sisters, it is a separately incorporated organization.
BARN is about helping families overcome the obstacles – emotional and financial – that have derailed their lives. Once these barriers are breached, families can (and do) thrive. We continue to grow and develop our services to help parents identify and break the cycles that caused them to lose their home and their footing in society. By empowering these individuals to trust in their own abilities and strive to be the best version of themselves, our graduates often continue on to become prominent pillars of their community and provide inspiration for individuals just starting out in the BARN program.
We have three neighborhoods with four adjoining bedrooms in each. Each family lives in their own private bedroom and has their own private bathroom. The four families in each neighborhood share a living area, playroom and kitchen. Each family uses their own private refrigerator, cabinets and pantry. There is a coin operated washer and dryer in each neighborhood. Take a tour of one of our neighborhoods here:
What We've Achieved
- Since opening our doors in 1997 we have helped over 1000 families find secure and stable shelter.
- We have seen 100s of students graduate high school.
- We have helped over 2200 children who have lived at BARN.
- Lifeskills classes are offered every week to the parents living in BARN Community Housing. They learn important budgeting skills, goal-setting skills and crisis management tools.
- In the past 5 years more than 5 scholarships have been awarded to our residents.
- We have an on-site therapist and therapy dog for families recovering from abuse and trauma.
- Every year we host two incredible fundraising benefits for BARN Community Housing.
- Our housing is occupied by 12 families that include children from ages 11mos. to 18yrs.
All content and images used on this site are owned or licensed by BARN Community Housing for use on this site only. Unauthorized use is prohibited. Names of BARN Community Housing products and services are trademarks of BARN Community Housing or its subsidiaries. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as conferring any license or right under any BARN Community Housing patent, copyright, or trademark.